The Uganda Tourism Association is the umbrella association that brings together all tourism associations in Uganda. The current associations include the Association of Uganda Tour Operators, Uganda Safari Guides Association, Uganda hotel owners Association, The Uganda Association of travel agents , and Uganda community Tourism Association. These associations altogether represent tour operators, travel agents, accommodation facilities, tour guides, community-based organizations, and membership is steadily increasing.
The Uganda Tourism Association does not get involved with the daily operations of any tourism institution, organization or travel business Association and does not intend to duplicate any services rendered by such organizations, institutions or associations. UTA provides a unified industry voice to articulate to government and others the industry-wide major issues of national significance.
UTA assists with strategic intervention when by agreement the industry requires lobbying or advocacy at the highest level on the main issues impacting negatively on tourism growth and development. The Association strives to engage with captains of industry, political leaders, innovators, development agencies, institutions of higher learning, and individuals who are knowledgeable to be experts in different disciplines, fields of specialization and professions.
- To coordinate and liaise with the government, government organizations, civil authorities, and other commercial sectors to ensure effective lobbying and advocacy for tourism development.
- To contribute to national tourism policy making and planning.
- Contribute to the marketing of the destination and private sector through joint activities.
- Provide training and other capacity building initiatives to various stakeholders in the tourism industry, taking a value chain approach.
- Liaise with the government and other stakeholders to ensure tourism product development, adherence to professional standards and ethical practices in the tourism industry.
- Research, formulate and make submissions to the government and other appropriate authorities on industry-wide major issues of national significance to the tourism sector.
- To facilitate the development of new tourism products and marketing them together with existing products in the major source markets by 2019.
- Promote human resource capacity/skills development in the tourism sector.
- To support and promote harmonized standards and quality control in tourism industry operations in Uganda.